What is gum recession?
Gum recession is when the margin of the gum surrounding the teeth is worn away or pulls back, exposing the tooth root. Gum recession does not happen overnight. It is something that occurs gradually and if left untreated, the teeth and tissues surrounding can become damaged, which may then result in bone loss – leading to tooth loss.
Can your gums grow back? How do I prevent gum recession?
No, your gums do not grow back automatically. There are ways to prevent gum recession through maintaining proper oral hygiene such as:
- soft brushing in circular motions
- flossing daily
- do not smoke
- eat a healthy balanced diet
- visit your dentist every 6 months for a hygiene check up
- less stress
Why are they receding?
- If you are brushing your teeth too aggressively or brushing them the wrong way, it causes your gums to recede and the enamel on your teeth around the gumline to wear away.
- Bacterial gum infections such as periodontal disease will destroy the gums, tissue and the bone supporting the teeth. Gum disease is the main cause of receding gums.
- Poor oral hygiene is also another cause of receding gums. Lack of flossing and poor brushing habits which allow plaque and calculus to build up can cause your gums to recede.
- Grinding and clenching your teeth can put alot of force on the teeth causing parts of the enamel to chip away and also your causing your gums to recede.
- Smoking and tobacco users
How is gum recession treated?
- Deep cleaning or root planning. This is when the dentist cleans the affected area by removing the built-up plaque and tartar that is on the tooth surface below the gumline.
- Gum surgery can be performed. In more serious recessions, a gum graft is taken from the palate and stitched to the gum tissue surrounding the exposed tooth root. Another type of graft is when the gum is cut and pulled down and stitched over the exposed root.
If you would like to book in to have a discussion with our dentist, please contact us to schedule an appointment on (07) 33982255 or fill out your details to contact us.