Dry mouth is a condition where you do not make enough saliva. Your mouth gets dry and can cause a number of symptoms such as:
- feeling thirsty or dehydration
- dry throat
- sticky dry feeling in the mouth
- sores, split skin and cracked lips
- dry red tongue
- burning sensation
- bad taste
- bad breath
What causes dry mouth?
Causes of dry mouth include side effects from the following:
- Side effects from medications
- Diseases and infections
- medical treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy
How is dry mouth treated?
Find the cause and treat the cause.
Dry mouth is treated by adjusting the medications you are on, using a dry mouth spray or lubricant or prescription oral mouth rinse. There are also saliva production medications that can be taken under the guidance of your GP.
Some natural remedies for dry mouth are
- quit smoking
- sugar free chew chewing gum
- stop drinking caffeine
- breathe through your nose
- eat a healthy diet
- drink lots of water
- use mouthwash
- remove or reduce stress
If you would like to book in to have a discussion with our dentist, please contact us to schedule an appointment on (07) 33982255 or fill out your details to contact us.