What is a filling?
A filling is when composite material is used to restore a tooth which has been damaged by decay due to bacteria and food. Bacteria and food cause plaque which contains bacteria that feed on sugars in the food you consume. As the bacteria feed, they make acids which eat away at the tooth. The acids can lead to holes in the tooth which creates a cavity.
Why do we need fillings?
If left untreated, the cavity can cause pain, infection and even can result in losing your tooth.
- During a filling procedure, your dentist will numb the area with anaesthetic
- Prepare the tooth by removing any decay
- Clean the tooth with a cleaning gel
- Apply a bond
- Fill the tooth with a tooth coloured composite material the same colour as your tooth
- Shape and then polish the tooth
If you would like to book in to have a discussion with our dentist, please contact us to schedule an appointment on (07) 33982255 or fill out your details to contact us.