Halitosis or Bad breath can be a sign of a problem that requires dental or medical attention. Bad breath can be caused by simple temporary oral hygiene issues down to health conditions that can cause ongoing bad breath.
Causes for temporary bad breath
- Certain pungent foods such as garlic, ginger, onion and spice
- Breathing through your mouth during sleep
- Trapped food
Causes for persisting bad breath
- Gum disease (periodontal disease)
- Mouth infections
- Salivary gland problems (xerostomia – dry mouth)
- Infection in the nose or throat
- Ongoing tonsillitis or tonsil stones
- Sinusitis & Post-nasal drip
- Lung infections
How can I prevent bad breath?
- Brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly at least twice daily
- Floss between your teeth daily
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks
- Keep your mouth hydrated
If you would like to book in to have a discussion with our dentist, please contact us to schedule an appointment on (07) 33982255 or fill out your details to contact us.